DreamQuest Academy is seeking passionate Quest Masters (instructors) and Familiars (assistants) for its 2016 Gaming Summer Camps. Become the quest-givers in our game design camps and help the kids gain xp and level up their talents. We are a 501c3 non-profit school that inspires young minds through creative play. We achieve this through our fun afterschool and summer programs that teach kids how to code, improve social skills, and build their own virtual worlds inside of videogames. We hold camps and classes at schools and stores in Boulder, Longmont, Louisville, Denver, and at our main office in Lafayette.
As an Quest Master (instructor), you will primarily be responsible for:
- Guiding campers on 1-week or 2-week quests to design a game in Unity or mod in Minecraft using a predetermined curriculum,
- Providing hints and strategies to help campers overcome obstacles,
- Tracking XP and HP for campers (achievements, points of challenge/difficulty, attendance, etc.),
- Informing the High Council of particularly difficult encounters or great successes,
- Making sure Familiars (assistants) are being used appropriately by campers,
- Guaranteeing campers level up certain skills on their quests (being accountable for a minimum set of demonstrable skills learned).
As a Familiar (assistant), you will primarily be responsible for:
- Keeping campers on the right path, and encouraging them to complete their quest,
- Clearing the trails (setting up and breaking down class spaces daily and light cleanup),
- Ensuring campers’ equipment is battle-ready (assisting with hardware/software issues where possible),
- Helping the Quest Master keep track of campers’ XP and HP,
- Other duties as given by the Quest Master.
Both Quest Masters (Instructors) and Familiars (Assistants) should have the following:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both with adults and kids
- Ability to follow a curriculum or plan, but also improvise where appropriate to make sure things run smoothly and goals get accomplished
- Strong organizational skills
Work schedule: 1-week camps begin May 31, 2016 and continue each week until August 12, 2016. 8:30AM – 5:00PM. Please discuss with the High Council which weeks you will be available to work. Camps will be held at our main office in Lafayette, as well as various BVSD schools and stores in Boulder, Longmont, Louisville, and Denver.
There will be a MANDATORY training day/orientation on Friday, May 27th, 2016 at our main office at 805 Excalibur St., Lafayette, CO 80026. You MUST attend this training to be considered for these positions.
Compensation: $15-$25/hour based on experience. We ask that assistants volunteer for one week of camps so both you and staff can make sure a working relationship will work going forward throughout the summer. Compensation for future camps will be determined after the first week of camps are completed.
How to apply: Fill out this form and we will get back to you with further information